2020 ENROLMENT – IMPORTANT INFORMATION
TRANSITION FROM YEAR 6 TO YEAR 7 2020
- Initially, primary schools are responsible for managing the Year 7 application process.
By the first week of term 2, primary schools will have distributed to the parents of Year 6 children information relating to secondary education and an ‘Application for Year 7 Placement’ form. On this application form, parents are asked to list up to three secondary school preferences. If you would like your child to attend Brighton Secondary College, it is important to list us as your first preference.
Parents/Guardians should note the following:
- The information (transition pack) that is distributed to parents of Year 6 children will outline all relevant dates relating to the Year 7 placement process.
- Parents are not to contact the Secondary School about Year 7 placement until they have received information from the Primary School, according to DET guidelines.
- Tours of the school will be conducted during term 1. This provides ample time for parents to submit the ‘Application for Year 7 Placement‘ form to their primary school which is not due until the 11th May.
- A package of information about Brighton Secondary College including an expression of interest form is distributed at the Open (Information) Night on the 3rd of April 2019 for Year 7 2020 enrolment.
- Our College’s ‘green’ Expression of Interest: Year 7 Enrolment 2020 form must be completed by ALL students applying to Brighton Secondary College. All Year 7 applicants to Brighton Secondary College must submit the green form with the precise evidence attached (see below), to the Brighton Secondary College General Office by Friday 11th May.
All applicants must include the following documentation together with the College’s ‘green form’:
Evidence of Residence
Those claiming “in zone” also need to provide:
- Copy of current Council Rates Notice or current Lease / Rent Agreement from a registered real estate agent in the name of the custodial parent / guardian above. (privately negotiated lease/rental arrangements will not be accepted as evidence of residence within the Brighton Secondary College zone). A current 12 month lease must extend to at least June 1, 2020. If your lease expires prior to June 1, 2020 the custodial parent must obtain a letter from the real estate agent (on the agent’s letterhead) stating that the landlord will renew the lease or be prepared to offer another 12 month lease (extension). The landlord will expect that the tenants have complied with the current lease requirements and may wish to retain the right to adjust the monthly rental. This letter MUST BE an ORIGINAL (not a photocopy),
- Copy of a bond receipt (if renting / leasing, from a registered real estate agent),
- Original of a recent gas / electricity bill with matching parent / guardian and address as shown above (photocopy is NOT acceptable),
- a legible photocopy of a current Victorian Driver’s Licence in the name of the custodial parent / guardian providing the current address,
- a copy of the student’s birth certificate and a recent full School Report, (Semester 2, 2018),
- a legible copy of a visa if the student was born overseas (not in Australia) or an Australian Passport, and
- a removalist’s records / receipt (for families that have moved in zone in the previous 12 months.
A photocopy of a map with your residence clearly marked X must be enclosed in your application.
Only copies of documents should be sent, except for original electricity bills. Documents will not be returned to applicants, unless special arrangements are made.
Parents must be patient throughout the Grade 6 to Year 7 transition process. The whole process culminates in early August. This is when primary schools will notify parents in writing, with the Year 7 placement offer.
YEARS 8 – 12 ENROLMENT INFORMATION
Due to the exceptional growth of the College’s student population and limited infrastructure, we are often only able to enrol students who reside permanently within the College’s zone. The school endeavours to maintain the integrity of the school zone as a means of maintaining a productive learning environment for staff and students alike.
Families of students wishing to enter at Years 8 – 12, can apply directly to the school by obtaining and completing an Expression of Interest Form. This form along with supporting documentation should be returned to our College Registrar at the general office.
It should be noted that an application for enrolment does not guarantee enrolment.
Students will not be considered for enrolment during term 4. Enrolment at this time will only be accepted for the college’s Commencement Program in preparation for the following year.
To ensure the correct decision is made in relation to your son/daughter’s education, carefully note the following:
- The School Registrar should be contacted before accommodation arrangements in the designated school zone are finalised. This is essential as places may not be available in preferred courses.
- Brighton Secondary College is a zoned school and therefore requires families and students to be permanent residents in the school zone. Requirements of permanent residency in the zone involves:
- The purchase and occupation of a property in the zone; or a long term lease and occupation of a property in the zone (please see Evidence of Residence requirements above).
Where there is insufficient accommodation at a school for all students who seek entry, students must be enrolled in the following priority order:
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school (ie: those residing within the Brighton Secondary College Zone).
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending Brighton Secondary College at the same time.
- Where the regional director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest to the school.
- All other students in order of closeness of their home to Brighton Secondary College.
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds.
- In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.