Select Page



  • Initially, primary schools are responsible for managing the Year 7 application process.

By the first week of term 2, primary schools will have distributed to the parents of Year 6 children information relating to secondary education and an ‘Application for Year 7 Placement’ form. On this application form, parents are asked to list up to three secondary school preferences. If you would like your child to attend Brighton Secondary College, it is important to list us as your first preference.

Parents/Guardians should note the following:

  • The information (transition pack) that is distributed to parents of Year 6 children will outline all relevant dates relating to the Year 7 placement process.
  • Parents are not to contact the Secondary School about Year 7 placement until they have received information from the Primary School, according to DET guidelines.
  • Tours of the school will be conducted during term 1. This provides ample time for parents to submit the ‘Application for Year 7 Placement‘ form to their primary school which is not due until May 2020.
  • A package of information about Brighton Secondary College including an expression of interest form is distributed at the Open (Information) Night on the Thursday 26th March for Year 7 2021 enrolment. Due to the cancellation of this event the Prospectus can be viewed on the college’s website.
  • Our College’s ‘green’ Expression of Interest: Year 7 Enrolment 2021 form must be completed by ALL students applying to Brighton Secondary College. All Year 7 applicants to Brighton Secondary College must submit the green form with the precise evidence attached (see below), to the Brighton Secondary College General Office by Friday 1st May 2020. Click here to download the expression of interest form. Please email the completed form to the college registrar; Gayle Whittaker:, alternatively post to our mailing address.

All applicants must include the following documentation together with the College’s ‘green form’:

Evidence of Residence

Those claiming “in zone” also need to provide:

  • Copy of current Council Rates Notice or current Lease / Rent Agreement from a registered real estate agent in the name of the custodial parent / guardian above. (privately negotiated lease/rental arrangements will not be accepted as evidence of residence within the Brighton Secondary College zone). A current 12 month lease must extend to at least June 1, 2021. If your lease expires prior to June 1, 2021 the custodial parent must obtain a letter from the real estate agent (on the agent’s letterhead) stating that the landlord will renew the lease or be prepared to offer another 12 month lease (extension). The landlord will expect that the tenants have complied with the current lease requirements and may wish to retain the right to adjust the monthly rental. This letter MUST BE an ORIGINAL (not a photocopy),
  • Copy of a bond receipt (if renting / leasing, from a registered real estate agent),
  • Original of a recent gas / electricity bill with matching parent / guardian and address as shown above (photocopy is NOT acceptable),
  • a legible photocopy of a current Victorian Driver’s Licence in the name of the custodial parent / guardian providing the current address,
  • a copy of the student’s birth certificate and a recent full School Report, (Semester 2, 2019),
  • a legible copy of a visa if the student was born overseas (not in Australia) or an Australian Passport, and
  • a removalist’s records / receipt (for families that have moved in zone in the previous 12 months.

A photocopy of a map with your residence clearly marked X must be enclosed in your application.

Only copies of documents should be sent, except for original electricity bills. Documents will not be returned to applicants, unless special arrangements are made.

Parents must be patient throughout the Grade 6 to Year 7 transition process. The whole process culminates in early August. This is when primary schools will notify parents in writing, with the Year 7 placement offer.

Additional Information We Require

To assist Brighton Secondary College in assessing your child’s eligibility for enrolment, the following documents will need to be submitted when requested, as evidence of your permanent residence in the school’s designated neighbourhood area.

Original or certified copies of:

  1. Rental agreement from a registered real estate company (agreement must be going forward 12 months) [Note: Serviced apartments; studio or one bedroom apartments do not qualify as a permanent residence]

or    Council rates notice if you own the property and it is your permanent residence

or    Unconditional and fully signed Contract of Sale if purchasing a property, with settlement prior to enrolment date


  1. A copy of two of the following:
  • electoral enrolment confirmation
  • a recent electricity account or confirmation of a new connection
  • other official documentation that demonstrates permanent residency at that address such as a driver’s license or health care card.

Documents must show the same address and parent’s name as recorded on the school expression of interest form.

On request, you may also be required to complete a statutory declaration confirming the student’s permanent residence is the address provided with the expression of interest and that the arrangement is genuine and intended to be permanent. We remind all applicants that a person who makes a false declaration is liable to the penalties of perjury.

Note: Enrolment applications may not be considered if the requested documentation is not provided.

When assessing enrolment applications, Brighton Secondary College may make the following enquiries to verify the information provided about a student’s permanent residence:

  • Checking the electoral roll at an Australian Electoral Commission office or the Victorian Electoral Commission head office
  • Checking with a real estate agent
  • Checking whether the contact hone number provided is registered to the residence provided on the expression of interest
  • For a rental property which is an apartment, checking whether there are any regulations or codes limiting the occupancy of these apartments to one person per apartment.


Due to the exceptional growth of the College’s student population and limited infrastructure, we are often only able to enrol students who reside permanently within the College’s zone. The school endeavours to maintain the integrity of the school zone as a means of maintaining a productive learning environment for staff and students alike.

Families of students wishing to enter at Years 8 – 12, can apply directly to the school by obtaining and completing an Expression of Interest Form. This form along with supporting documentation should be returned to our College Registrar at the general office.

It should be noted that an application for enrolment does not guarantee enrolment.

Students will not be considered for enrolment during term 4. Enrolment at this time will only be accepted for the college’s Commencement Program in preparation for the following year.

To ensure the correct decision is made in relation to your son/daughter’s education, carefully note the following:

  • The School Registrar should be contacted before accommodation arrangements in the designated school zone are finalised. This is essential as places may not be available in preferred courses.
  • Brighton Secondary College is a zoned school and therefore requires families and students to be permanent residents in the school zone. Requirements of permanent residency in the zone involves:
  • The purchase and occupation of a property in the zone; or a long term lease and occupation of a property in the zone (please see Evidence of Residence requirements above).

Where there is insufficient accommodation at a school for all students who seek entry, students must be enrolled in the following priority order:

  1. Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school (ie: those residing within the Brighton Secondary College Zone).
  2. Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending Brighton Secondary College at the same time.
  3. Where the regional director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest to the school.
  4. All other students in order of closeness of their home to Brighton Secondary College.
  5. Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds.
  6. In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.
Brighton Secondary College

120 Marriage Road
Brighton East, Vic 3187

+61 3 9592 7488
+61 3 9592 5724

Bob Stewart: +61 3 9036 7383

Yes No